Planning For Your Divorce
Advanced Planning Can Yield Better Results From A Divorce
In the great majority of cases, divorce is a decision that comes from months or years of consideration. If you have thought about divorce but are not yet sure, or if the timing isn’t right, there are still other things you can do now to protect yourself in the future.
At Naimi Family Law Group, we encourage individuals to educate themselves on the divorce process, and guide them in taking the necessary action to protect themselves now and into the future – regardless of when they plan on filing for divorce.
Here are some important steps you can take now:
- Contact a lawyer: Only a family law attorney can give you informed legal advice. Even if you are not yet fully committed to a divorce, it is wise to seek legal counsel to assess your position and determine your options. When you speak with our attorneys, we will listen to you and provide honest advice in regard to your situation. In some instances, after meeting with our attorneys, people realize their marriage may be saved, and we refer them to respected marriage counselors. In other cases, clients want to wait a few months or a year before taking any action. Regardless of how you are feeling, we will present you with concrete legal information and will always advocate for what is in your best interest.
- Understand your finances: Before taking any legal action to initiate a divorce, it is extremely helpful to start assembling documentation regarding your financial picture, including bank statements for both individual and joint bank accounts, retirement account statements, income tax returns, pay stubs and other proofs of income, credit card statements, mortgage payments, vehicle payments, utility bills and other expenses. Also, create a detailed budget to know what your current monthly expenses are. It can also be helpful to create a tentative budget for your post-divorce living expenses.
- Think about your goals: Now is the time to start thinking about how you want your life to look after the divorce. Do you want to remain in your home? Do you want primary custody of your children? Do you need financial support? Prioritizing your legal objectives now can help you once the divorce process is underway.
- Other considerations: During this time, you need to do everything you can to protect yourself and your children. Change the passwords on your personal email, social media and bank accounts. If you need help dealing with the stress of your situation, consider contacting a therapist. If you are the victim of abuse, contact the police or a domestic abuse hotline right away.
- What not to do: If you are considering ending your marriage, it is important to closely monitor your behavior and actions to avoid doing something that could hinder your position during the divorce. You should not make any drastic financial moves. Do not bad-mouth your spouse on social media. Do not send angry or negative emails or texts to your spouse. Do not leave hostile voice messages. Do not speak negatively about your spouse to your children.
Contact Naimi Family Law Group | Serving Summerlin, Las Vegas, Henderson And Southern Nevada
While there may be issues that you and your spouse disagree upon during the divorce process, there are always opportunities to end the marriage in an amicable manner. Advanced planning not only protects your interests during a divorce but can also position you for a smoother divorce process. Contact our Las Vegas attorney for divorce planning at (702) 901-4800 to learn more.